Saturday, August 19, 2023

Some Day, Grandson

 

Some Day, Grandson

Infant of painful belly
sleeps only when held, gently bounced,
seeking skin contact, the family scent,
flesh to flesh. My daughter, so tired,
new mother, must rest.

Men need to do things. At least, I do.
The porch rail remains half-built,
the truck idles roughly, not today’s chore.
Just as I once rocked my daughter, now
her babe sleeps with warm little cheek
against my stubbly old, hot puffs of breath
on my grainy neck.

Some day, grandson, you may wear
my scent of sweat, sawdust, motor oil.
For now you smell of milk, mommy, peace.
Life is so basic with a baby —
doing nothing, giving comfort,
the work of love.

.....

From my book Random Saints

First published in Dove Tales. Thank you Carmel Mawle, editor.

Photo: that's me with my grandson Ravi and his guardian dog Gonzo.

Hear me: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks

 For a few years now I've been posting my poetry on Facebook (and made many friends in the process). Now I want to be more widely availa...